Saturday, December 8, 2007

DJ’s Band of the Week: 12/2/07-12/8/07

This week's segment focuses on the alternative band Say Anything.

When I first prepared to listen to Say Anything, I automatically expected, in my musical pretentiousness that would not like them at all. I was proven wrong after the first few songs. I'll admit, I am not a big fan of front man Max Bemis' voice, but I warmed to it after a while. I classify Say Anything as the band that I like that I am technically not supposed to like. Granted, the only album I have listened to by them is …Is a Real Boy, but I thoroughly enjoyed the album.

The best part of Say Anything, in my opinion, is the lyrics. At first glance, I got the impression of a band trying too hard and being pretentious, but after a while, I gradually warmed to them. I really like the delivery of all the lyrics. It makes me feel like I am watching the scenes being illustrated in the song, which adds a whole other element to the music. My favorite song would have to be "Admit It!!!" possibly followed by "The Futile."

Say Anything was founded while all the members were in high school. In 2000 they self-released an EP entitled Junior Varsity before also self-releasing their first album, Baseball in 2002. The next year, 2002, they again self-released an EP, this time entitled Menorah\Mejora. Both Baseball and Junior Varsity are out of print.

In 2004, the band was signed to Doghouse Records where they released their third EP, For Sale…. In August 2004, …Is a Real Boy was released. After Say Anything signed with J Records, a division of Sony BMG Music Entertainment, …Is a Real Boy was reissued with a bonus disk entitled …Was a Real Boy in 2006. …Was a Real Boy contains seven of eight songs leaked onto the internet as set under the title of Vs. AIDS Demos. Bemis originally said that the demos were bad music.

In October of 2007, Say Anything released In Defense of the Genre.

So yeah, great band. I put this together pretty quickly, but whatever. Enjoy.

No comments: